Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I love my mixer

Having moved around the world a lot, I've had to leave my old mixer behind more time than I care to think about.

The first serious mixer I owned all to myself was a Kenwood Chef, my parents gave it to me for my 21st birthday. Now, before you start to think that's not a very exciting birthday present, I begged for one. Begged.

I had spent my childhood using the Kenwood Chef that my mother was given when I was born (which still works - win one for good craftsmanship and longevity) and could think of nothing I wanted more than one of my own.

The first time I moved overseas I loaned my Kenwood Chef to a friend. When I moved back she was so distraught at the prospect of not having it anymore that my mother helped find her a second hand one at a garage sale.

In the year I was back living in Australia I used that mixer constantly, gearing up for what I knew was coming, culinary school. And again moving to the other side of the world where my mixer could not go.

Going back to being a student meant that I could not afford anything more than a set of hand beaters at home, but thankfully I had access to rooms full of mixers at school.

Except, suddenly, having access to all those mixers at school made me miss having one at home even more. What about those moment when I wanted to bake something that wasn't being graded? I only have so many hands and juggling hand beaters, bowls and flour is a recipe for clumsy girl disaster.

So when Christmas was approaching and my mother called to ask me what I would like, while I could name a list of things, right at the top was a mixer. I wanted a Kitchenaid and I wanted one in a fun color. Baking is fun, my mixer should reflect that (no offense to my trusty old white Kenwood that is sitting at my dad's house).

There was some debate about color, I liked the tangerine and the hot pink and red is always fun but green won the day. Green is my favorite color, how could I look past it?

So here she is, in all her glory, my Kitchenaid, who wonderfully helps me create all kinds of masterpieces leaving me both hands to work with.

Ready to Mix

Action Shot!
Do you have a mixer that you love? Or are you stuck in the horror that is hand beaters?

Cheers,
Joo

2 comments:

  1. How very retro of you!

    I think I have a KitchenAid 500 series. It's black. Technically I bought it for hubs, though he only uses it for giant batches of chocolate chip cookies and lefse. I'm pretty sure I've used it for something, but I don't remember what. Most of the time I'm not making anything in a large enough batch to justify dirtying it up. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait until I teach you about nutella cream, THEN you'll have a reason to use your mixer.

      Delete